Your typical vinyl fence will only slope 5%. Over 5% slope, you may have to make some field adjustments in your post pockets, rail pockets and picket lengths. First, start with your rail pockets to get the rails installed between the posts.
- If the slope is so severe that you are unable to get the rail into the standard post pockets, place the rail parallel to the existing grade and flush along the side the post.
- With the rail in place, use the post as a guide and scribe a line down the height of the rail.
- Measure your line. This measurement represents the height of the rail pocket necessary to insert the rail.
- Using a straight edge, draw the taller pocket along the existing rail pocket.
- Using a Roto-Zip, carefully and accurately cut the larger pocket into the post. You will need to clamp a straight edge to guide the arbor of your Roto-Zip to assure a straight cut.
Once the rails are in place, you may need to make special provisions to get the pickets in place.
- If you have a picket fence, slide the rail through the top rail into the bottom rail. If you are unable to keep the picket plumb, you may have to field cut the bottom of the top rail out to accommodate the slope.
- Place the picket along side the rail, aligned with the top hole.
- Keeping the picket aligned with the top rail, swing the picket so that it is plumb.
- Mark on the bottom of the top rail where the picket would need to come through to be plumb.
- Using your Roto-zip, cut the picket hole larger in the rail to accommodate the plumb picket.
- If you have a solid fence that uses the tongue and groove pickets, you will have to cut the pickets to accommodate for the slope.
- Trim each edge of the picket with a Roto-Zip or Skilsaw with a plastic blade.
- You may discover that even though you have cut one edge of the picket, the other square edge of the picket is not fully covered by the rail. This is a result of a severe slope. The only solution is to use full length materials and custom cut each picket.
© 2018 The American Fence Company. All rights reserved. Permission granted to reproduce for personal and educational use only. Commercial use, copying or distribution is prohibited without express written permission from The American Fence Company.
© 2021 The American Fence Company. All rights reserved. Permission granted to reproduce for personal and educational use only. Commercial use, copying or distribution is prohibited without express written permission from The American Fence Company.